Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Like Big Lots a Lot!

I am a big fan of Big Lots, a retail store that focuses mainly on selling closeout and overstock merchandise. The company is based in Columbus, Ohio, and currently operates over 1,400 stores in 47 states. In 2011, Big Lots became an international retailer when it bought Liquidation World, a Canadian retailer with 89 locations.


A typical store sells a wide variety of merchandise, including toys, furniture, clothing, housewares, and small electronics. Most of the items sold in these stores are purchased as they become available. What is in the store one day may not be there the next, and the store may not get further shipments of those particular items. However, there are some items in the stores, such as foodstuffs, that are replenished on a continual basis.

My favorite section in the store is the food section, which offers imported and international selections not ordinarily found in other food stores. The Big Lots where I shop has recently rearranged and enlarged the food section, bringing it to the front of the store instead of at the back section.

I make regular visits and usually bring home an array of interesting items to try. Who can resist picked red peppers from Poland, crackers from Italy or sparkling water from Ireland? Jams and jellies are favorites and the selection is fantastic: gooseberry, currant, fig and hazelnut -- selections not always found in regular grocery stores.

Here are some of the items I brought home yesterday.



How cool are these baking papers which don't need to be placed into a cupcake tin for baking? They are from Sweden. I had never seen these before.

 I found several choices of personal journals in the stationery department. Even though I have tons of pretty little books, I treated myself to a new one, which is to become my new "Gratitude Journal."


After my post two days on Gratitude, I will write at least five things into my journal each day that I am thankful for.



Here's a typical Big Lots storefront.



If there's a Big Lots where you live, do you shop there? If not, what other stores have you found that offer merchandise at good prices?

8 comments:

  1. I like Big Lots, too. I have bought closeout Avon jewelry, which was there for one week and then gone. One piece was a silly watch with Hollywood on the dial, that I like so much I got two. They have fun stuff for scrapbooking and cardmaking, too. I once bought all the stuff for a Hula party, which I mailed to my daughter in college. She still has the coconut bra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never expect to find the same thing there again, that's for sure. Except for the foods, which they seem to have a constant supplier for.

      Delete
  2. This store sounds so American with all the trucks outside...have never heard of this store but sounds full of interesting goodies,and you picked out the best.

    The store most mentioned on blogs is Target is that similar to Big Lots? We have Aldi,Lidl which sell cheaper products most of their goods come from Europe/Ireland.

    I prefer to buy British as much as possible as our economy needs the help.

    I enjoy learning about other countries,have never visited the USA,always wanted to see New England in the Autumn. Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-Ha, the pickup trucks! But honestly, all of us don't drive pickup trucks! Granted, many do! Target is more a big discount store, like Walmart, K-Mart, where you can shop for everything you need under one roof (food, household supplies, drugstore, toys, furniture, hairdresser, eyeglasses, you name it), while Big Lots is much smaller, and prices are cheaper. They buy overstocks from other stores.

      Ida, you need to make a trip to the U.S.!

      Delete
  3. No Big Lots over here. We have Lidl, like Ida in GB, but I have never been in one, and never will.
    I totally lack the interest for shopping ( right now ).
    I buy, what I buy, when I see something I " must " have. Luckily, my hb does the grocery shopping (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky, Mette, that your husband does the grocery shopping! It's so time consuming, but I must admit, sometimes entertaining when one finds new stuff!

      Delete
  4. I have found a few treasures in Big Lots, two being the two arbors I got at the end of summer - marked down to $50.00 - elsewhere would have been $200.00. I like the food section too, especially the spices. I buy all mine there that I can't grown and preserve at home. They are a steal compared to some of the big brands in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sissy,
      That was a great deal on the arbors! One never knows what will be found at Big Lots. I think the spices are a great deal, too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...