Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Tale of the Low-Hanging Fruit

Maybe it was the freshness of a summer morning that put me in such a good mood. Or perhaps it was the sound of the sweet bird songs that gave my heart a lift. But as I returning from checking on mother this morning, I couldn't help but notice the low-hanging fruit on her crabapple tree.



They looked so beautiful that my first thought was to pick a basket full!  Well, actually, my very first thought was to grab a few pictures. The color was delightful and I definitely wanted to capture that.


What about crabapple jelly? I tried jelly making years ag,o but with little success, but you know, hope reigns eternal!



A few more pictures and then I would decide whether or not to pick a few.


Crabapples hanging low, against a backdrop of my parents' old country house where I lived from the age of four years.



Leafy greens, red fruit, blue skies. Now I'm really feeling good.


That did it! Off I ran to grab a sack and pick a few.



Back in the kitchen, the crabapples were cleaned and the blossom ends trimmed. 

 I reached on the shelf for my oldest cookbook, good old Fannie Farmer. As you can see, it's had quite a bit of use. It covers everything imaginable! Of all my many cookbooks, this is my favorite!



I read up on crabapple jelly, spiced crabapples and pickled crabapples and decided on the latter because it was easier and faster of the three. I decided to leave the stems intact; less work; and what the heck, does it really matter?


So may I present my Pickled Crabapples! I tasted one and uh, well, it's not my favorite. Hmm, maybe it'll taste better after it macerates in the syrup for a few days. Or perhaps they weren't quite ready for picking? Or I just don't have a taste for crabapples?






As my sister pointed out, why didn't I just buy the jelly or jam at the store and leave the crabapples in a pretty basket as table decor for a few days? Perhaps she was right. Or I chould have just left all of them for the birds.
Live and learn!


The beauty of all this was discovering the crabapples, appreciating their beauty and the enjoyment of shooting the pictures. Making the recipe was secondary. So all was not a lost cause!


Do you ever get carried away in the excitement of the moment and begin a project that didn't turn out to your liking? Do you then feel frustrated because of the time you spent on the project?

14 comments:

  1. I remember pickled crabapples at my grandparent's house and how good they were with roast pork. Martha Stewart brings branches of them in for decorating, like your sister suggests. Really pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beryl. Now I can't decide if I should refrigerate the jars. They aren't sealed, and I'm wondering if the vinegar will keep them preserved at room temperature.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fruit and beautiful pictures of our old home in the background. Maybe you just didn't have the taste for them today but think how much you enjoyed the activities and excitment of seeing, picking and photographing the beautiful crabapples. Maybe Beryl has a good suggestion, seems they might be good with roast pork. Apple slices are sometimes served with it and taste pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sissy, I will be presenting you with a jar of your very own on Saturday! I put a spoonful of the juice and berries on top of a piece of pound cake and it tasted pretty good!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the pictures of the pretty apples and the lovely old family home. I don't think I have ever seen, and certainly not tasted crabapples. Are they another variety of regular eating apples, or are they a different fruit entirely? Sounds like you had a lovely time with the old recipe book. They are great to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia
      I suppose they are an offshoot of regular apples; definitely similar taste. These are smaller than some; some crabapples are much larger than those in my pictures. It was a fun project but somewhat time consuming!

      Delete
  4. Sanda, you are quite the photo-capturer-person! :-) Loved the pix!! Don't give up on the jelly/pickling idea because I had my first jelly-making experience last week with peach jelly. Turned out really good - I was shocked because I thought jelly-making was real difficult but it was actually quite easy. I'm posting on my website areedasoutherncooking.com my peach jelly recipe if you'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Areeda,
      I heard that you had ventured into jelly making. The jar of peach you brought mother looked beautiful. I'll maybe try jelly making another time. I'll go look at your recipe.

      Delete
  5. Love your family home,white clapboard (think that is what you call it?)white picket fences so truly American.

    My MIL was a terrific jam/marmalade maker her crab apple jelly was delicious with warm scones & cream, yummie.Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ida
      The house is getting old; hope it lasts as long as my mother does. She wants to remain there as long as she can. She'll be 91 in August.
      Warm scones and cream, now you're making me hungry!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful that you can still visit the home you grew up in. I've made apple butter but never had any crab apples. If nothing else, I think they would look marvelous decorating something like a turkey or ham during the holidays.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla,
      I have used the spiced crabapples from the store to decorate around a ham. The ones you buy are dyed such a beautiful red and they are quite tasty, larger than mine.

      Delete
  7. You seem to manage everything. I know that cooking jam, jellies, etc., is h o t work on a hot day.
    My MIL used to come over in the fall and the " circus " in the kitchen started - apples.
    I´m not familiar with your crabapples.
    I remember the same thing going on in my childhood home too, only it was the maid, who did the job. I had no business in the kitchen.
    Same thing, when the MIL came over. I must say, that I felt a stranger in my own house.
    Need I say, that the jam making does not interest me at all.
    But, I don´t mind others doing it, as long as they do it in their house ; ).
    Your apples look pretty on the trees. When we get apples - not every year - I leave them for the birds. They are so sour, that not even the horses like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mette, hope I haven't conjured bad memories of jelly making days during your youth. I had no interest in gardening, preserving food when I was still at my parents home. It was a great deal of work! It's only since I've been an adult that I enjoy such endeavors, doing it my way and making it fun projects instead of dreary chores!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...