Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Golden Hour: Sunset



I don't know what you could say about a day in which you have seen four beautiful sunsets.
-John Glenn, NASA astronaut
Glenn was indeed a lucky man. I love sunsets and sunrises and am excited to see them each day. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to see four of each in one day. 
I can't think of single thing that's more beautiful than a sunset or a sunrise.

I see the sun rise most mornings this time of the year, as the event coincides with my daily commute. Headed east, I look forward to the sun rising on the horizon -- the pinks, oranges, reds.The texture of the clouds, the interplay of light and dark. Then on my return trip home, headed west, I get to see the sun set, or at least I did in December and early January. With the days lengthening, I now have to walk outside the house to watch the show.
I photograph the sky with my phone camera, a Droid, and am amazed at the results. Brian Williams of NBC News interviewed famous photographer Annie Leibovitz a few months ago and when asked what camera she recommends, Leibovitz answered "iPhone." It is pretty amazing the results one can get with these phone cameras!
Here's a sampling of my recent sunset photographs:

Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn.




  
                                                                               

  



The photograph below was taken at sunrise today, at about 6:15 a.m. CST. These colors are just amazing, aren't they?

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God.
Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.                                                                                
                                                                                    - Anne Frank

When I bought my farm, I did not know what a bargain I had in the bluebirds, daffodils and thrushes; as little did I know what sublime mornings and sunsets I was buying.
                                                                                - Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. Stunning photos' Sanda, magical colours...clouds are another wonder to my eye. You really capture nature in wide open spaces.Ida

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...